TOPIC: Real Peace
TOPICS

Articles
Daily Devotions
You Can Be Bitter Or Better
by Janie Buck
Topic: Real Peace
Date: 12.03.2004

Do you wish you were smarter? Better looking? Always kind to others? And had all the money you wanted? Our list of "wants" could go on for pages. Many are not satisfied with who they are and what they have. The comedian Rodney Dangerfield drew on a life time of feelings, dread, anxiety and hurt to make his jokes. We laughed because we could see ourselves. But discontent is not funny. It spoils our personality and makes us bitter at life.

There is help available. The Bible speaks to our need of contentment. It is the antidote for bitterness (Gen. 33:1-11). It teaches us who supplies our needs (Ex. 20:17). It reveals that it is not found in money (Psalms 17:13-15). Humility brings contentment (Psalms 131:1). It tell us to be content with what we have (Matt. 6:24). And that we can be content in any situation we face (Phil 4:10-14).

The "how to" is "Be renewed in the spirit of your mind" (Ephesians 4:23). This means we may have a constant fresh mental and spiritual attitude gained by daily reading God's Word. The Holy Spirit enlightens the mind as you read the Word so you will not only know the Word, but make it the very fabric of your life.

God did not reform your old mind when you became a Christian. He created a new person within your soul and spirit. We still have our old body, but when the Lord Jesus comes again it too will be made new. Our old mind is still with us, but held in check by constant surrendering ourselves to the Holy Spirit.

Now we know the old moral and spiritual condition has passed away and we are made fresh and new (2 Corinthians 5:17) We can be "firm, steadfast, unmoveable, positive in what we believe" because these things are written in the Bible for our benefit. We may ask for and receive "every good thing which is in Christ Jesus" because He lives with us.

Memory Verse: "Be renewed in the spirit of you mind" (Ephesians 4:23)

Prayer: Lord, please continue changing my attitude and outlook on life so I will think like you think as I learn the Scripture. I ask that my mind be strong, and unimpaired. Please change my observation of the world and people so my attitude will be like yours. May my power of reasoning be clear and strong, and my memory sharp. Grant that my mind will be your workshop and my conscience kept clean. Amen

Home | About | Insights | Journal | Bookstore | Contact | Links

© 2004-2024 www.insightstofaith.com