browse by:
TOPIC: Me, Myself & I Problems
TOPICS

Articles
Daily Devotions
Abandonment
by Janie Buck
Date: 06.20.2006

It is sad to see an old farm with an abandoned house in a field of weeds and broom sage. I saw just such a house that was almost covered with privet hedges. The old live oaks that once shaded the house and yard had dropped their heavy limbs, leaving ugly stumps. Why was the house and farm deserted? Who had lived there?

An abandoned house can be restored and made into a beautiful home for an active family. Can a person be renewed and restored to a meaningful life? Yes! The Almighty can make anyone a new creation in Christ Jesus. Then life has purpose and meaning.

An old book I am reading advised Christians to abandon their entire self to God. How can a person “abandon” their self to God? Researching a fuller understanding of “abandonment” in Webster’s First Edition of An American Dictionary, I learned that it means “leaving with a view never to return – a giving up, or resigning control as when a person yields himself without conditions to the Lord. It is a relinquishment of the right to be in control of ones life to the Lord.”

At first thought we may think “That is scary!” It would be if we were allowing a person to control our life. We would be their slave! The fact of the matter is that in some parts of the world people are still taken as slaves!

Abandoning our self to God gives us perfect freedom. We can trust Him because He is good and loves us with never ending love. Abondoning our self to God may be a big first time decision. Know this, God gives great peace, purpose and power to those who trust Him. Our life takes on new meaning. We experience His peace that is described as “the peace of God that transcends all understanding, will guard your minds in Christ Jesus” (Phil. 4:7).

Yielding our self to God must be an everyday practice. We are so use to doing exactly what we wish that we must renew our relationship with Him daily. Come to the Lord in prayer every day and yield your life to His gracious control.

Daily practice of surrendering self to God yields a blessed state of being. God’s will is good, acceptable and perfect for each one of us. We are safe when “self” is in His hands. He gives freedom from self-centeredness. We can know He dwells within us!

Our will must continually be submitted to God’s will. If one has been “in charge” for many years it will take a lot of practice to do this. Most of us ask God’s help only we they can’t manage a problem. That is cheating our self of His wonderful presence.

As we continually submit our will to the Lord’s will, He makes good changes in our life. We learn to renounce private inclinations even when they seem good. And thus forgetting our self, we count everything that happens as coming from the Lord. He is in charge!

Memory Verse: "I appeal to you therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship. Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect." (Romans 12:1)

Prayer: Father, I am not afraid to totally give my life to you. You are Lord and have made me your child. Please keep reminding me that I am not my own. I have been bought with a price, the death of your beloved Son. It is only reasonable that I give myself to you. So here I am. I am yours. I take my sticky hands off and allow you to be in charge.

Home | About | Insights | Journal | Bookstore | Contact | Links

© 2004-2024 www.insightstofaith.com